Last month, we talked about the importance of growing your own in-house newsletter distribution list. (Remember, the powers that be frown on mass distribution. See our article, “How to Create a Successful Email Newsletter Campaign AND Avoid Hefty Fines or Jail Time” for all the details.) We introduced the idea of an “engagement with two fronts,” and we first addressed Hand-to-Hand ways to grow your list, which focuses on personal and in-person interaction. This month, we’ll take a look at Long Range, which is all about social media, websites, blogs, and other forms of virtual – as opposed to “real” – reality.
First off, let’s put some bait on your website.
- Make it easy for people to join your email newsletter list. Be sure you have a sign-up form on your website. Then keep it top of mind by adding a link to the form on every page.
- Ask current subscribers why they enjoy your newsletter. Create a page on your website (with a link to the sign-up form!) that features these advantages.
- Add a blog to your website and post newsletter articles there after they’re published in the email newsletter. Make the link to the newsletter sign-up form nice and eye-catching on your blog page.
- Add social share buttons to your blog so others can share your content. Don’t forget to add share buttons to your email newsletter itself, too!
Social media platforms are another great source of emails. Here’s a critical question: are you active on social media? Please say yes. If you can’t say yes, give us a call.
- Add a sign-up form to your Facebook page. You can even add a call to action on your Facebook cover photo; that’s a great place to advertise your fantastic newsletter.
- Once you post your article to your blog, add a link to it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
- Every so often, post about your email newsletter and encourage people to sign up.
- Post quotes from subscribers about why they like your newsletter and find it relevant.
- Have any videos on your website? Share them on social media.
- Link your email sign-up form to all your social media profiles.
- Consider short online videos for your organization. Make a video about your newsletter and tell people where they can sign up.
- Share your video on Facebook, Twitter, et al, and embed it on your blog.
These Long Range methods combined with our Hand-to-Hand suggestions make a powerful strategy for growing your in-house email distribution list. And there’s nothing hard about it. Follow a few simple steps, and you’re on your way to building a list of engaged and interested subscribers.